Friday, September 15

#DannyDoesArt | Vivant



I think it's about time I enthuse about my watercolours, particularly the Japanese brand—Holbein Artists' watercolors. From the moment my brush touched the paint, I knew I was in for a vivid ride. 


Japan is known to be a place with the oldest professional watercolour practice in the world and I feel so blessed to call it my home. The country is famous for its brilliant colours and Holbein continues the same tradition by producing world-class heavily-pigmented watercolours. The Holbein collection boasts unique colours such as the intense bluish-pink Opera and Peacock Blue hues that you won't find in other watercolour lines. With this artist-grade set being part of my artillery, I felt confident in creating bright and buoyant pieces to stimulate my own senses.

Sunsets, I thought, would be a perfect subject to test Holbein's standards in lightfastness and colour vigor. I've always been a fan of sunsets and last week I was able to witness an epic one from the balcony of my apartment. I consider sunsets an "out-of-this-world finale" and one of my favourite subjects to take photos of. This time I decided to preserve the images on paper through watercolour painting.

Here are the materials I used:

☑️ Maruman Art Spiral sketchbook
☑️ Holbein Artists' watercolors
☑️ Daiso paintbrush (#12 round)


As expected, Holbein paints produced exceptionally vibrant colours. They're incredibly easy to work with as the colours flow and blend well. They don't dry on the palette as quickly as the others as well. And finally, they're very transparent, lightfast, and you'll have no problem with granulation.

Holbein Artists' watercolors is definitely a comprehensive travel set and is perfect for students and professional artists alike.




No comments:

Post a Comment